If you've read the liner notes to Roy's 2014 release Strikin' Matches LIVE! you'll know that his original plan was to put together a compilation of tunes from the past, including a few unreleased tracks, bits from his soundtrack work and alternate versions of songs from his back catalogue, sprinkled in amongst cuts from his albums. His quest for a live version of Love Turns To Ice lead him away from the planned anthology-type release to the eventual collection of live recordings that became Strikin' Matches.
The 'Retro-Roy' page contained samples of a few things that Roy was considering for that original compilation project. We've decided to keep this page as an ongoing repository of some interesting, mostly unavailable Roy cuts. You might see out-takes from The Human Kind, Almost Overnight and Crazy Old Moon plus a sampling of material with UHF and Connie Kaldor. You can hear Roy rocking out with his first band The Crystal Ship from a 1969 recording at a Ft. St. John high school gym. Many of Roy's live shows were recorded by CBC down through the years. Who knows what might pop up from those tapes. His soundtrack work contains some great music that has rarely been heard outside the context of the films. Some of this guitar work is included as well.
Let us know what tunes you'd like to see included on this page and keep an eye on this space for occasional updates. Thanks to those of you who have e-mailed with suggestions. Keep ‘em comin’.
Check out these streaming audio samples of Rare Retro Roy Recordings:
- Silly Guy  Roy and his fine 1979-80-era band, recorded by CBC in the spring of 1980 at the legendary Vancouver club, Rohans. The band consists of Roy (lead vocals, guitar), Leona Lohn (harmony vocals), Laurence Knight (bass), Gary Koliger (guitar) and Chris Nordquist (drums). Roy never did get around to recording this one.
- Willow Tree  Roy shows his jazzy side in a CBC studio recording for the 'Hot Air' radio program. With Miles Black (piano), Brad Turner (trumpet), Campbell Ryga (sax), Miles Hill (bass) and Buff Allen (drums).
- Tiny Island  Here's one from Roy's 1987 LP 'Love Turns To Ice' which was the first official 'Roy Forbes album and the first release on AKA Records. Roy's on guitar and vocals with Norman MacPherson (electric guitars) and Connie LeBeau (bass). (vinyl LP only, available on iTunes)
- Leave It To The Lord  Originally released on Roy's first LP 'Kid Full Of Dreams' in 1975, here's an unreleased version from the marathon three-day 'Almost Overnight' sessions. This is take three.
- Better Luck Next Time  Roy, showing his rock and roll roots with his band, The Crystal Ship, at Bert Bowes High School, Ft. St. John, in November 1969. The tune is an early Roy original. As well as Roy (vocals and lead guitar), you'll hear Terry Emslie (drums), Richard Dixon (rhythm guitar) and Eddie Hanrahan (bass).
- I'm Ready If You're Willin'  A rough mix of an unused track from the 'Human Kind' sessions.
- Dancing Trees  A sample of movie soundtrack work from Nettie Wilde's Blockade.
- Old Man Worry  live and solo at The Vancouver East Cultural Centre on September 14th, 1981, from Stony Plain's 'Anything You Want' (vinyl LP only, out of print).
- Mickey  Another segment of the movie soundtrack from Blockade.
- The Slider  Roy takes an early step into jazzy vocal territory on this deep track from the Casino album 'Raincheck on Misery'. (vinyl LP only, out of print)
- Mince Meat Tart  The first version from 'Christmas Jam' on the Radio Canada International label (vinyl LP only, out of print).
- Mince Meat Tart  The second version from 'New Songs for an Old Celebration' done with Connie Kaldor on the Aural Traditions label (vinyl LP only, out of print).
- Mince Meat Tart  2010 - From a live solo performance at a Vancouver Folk Music Festival Fundraiser at Performance Works in Vancouver on December 3rd.
- Tender Lullaby  From a CBC recording live at the Kitsilano Showboat in Vancouver BC, on July 29th, 2000. With Dan Smith (guitar), Linda Kidder (bass and harmony vocals) and Chris Nordquist (drums).