New Songs for an Old Celebration (1985)
out of print
Aural Tradition Records
“New Songs For An Old Celebration” was recorded during the summer of 1985 at Vancouver’s Mushroom Studios. Produced by Roy Forbes (his first official production). Recorded and Mixed by Si Garber.
This seasonal album, a collaboration with Canadian singer-songwriter Connie Kaldor includes Roy’s Christmas originals like, “Mince Meat Tart” and “Ring The Bells At Midnight” as well as his stirring version of “Last Month Of The Year”. Connie’s contributions include an emotional rendition of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” as well as seasonal Connie originals like “We’re Gonna Sing” and Cowboy’s Christmas”. Connie and Roy duet on Merle Haggard’s “If We Make It Through December”. Electric guitarist Norman MacPherson chimes in with a sensitive rendering of “The Christmas Song”.
Musicians on the LP include Jerry Adolphe - drums; Brian Newcombe - bass; Dave Pickell - piano and keyboards; Sue Leonard - harmony vocals.
Roy’s on acoustic and electric guitars and harmony vocals. Connie plays piano and adds some harmony and background vocals.
1. Last Month of the Year (Trad. - Arr. by R. Forbes)
2. Island Santa (C. Kaldor)
3. Mincemeat Tart (R. Forbes)
4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (H. Martin & R. Blaine)
5. Christmas Time [Gonna Be Home] (R. Forbes)
1. Ring The Bells at Midnight (R. Forbes)
2. Cowboy Christmas (Connie Kaldor)
3. If We Make it Through December (M. Haggard)
4. The Christmas Song (Torme, Wells)
5. We're Gonna Sing (C. Kaldor)
6. Silent Night (Trad. - Arr. by R. Forbes)